Most of my clients ask me regarding the big square box inside the center part of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s a huge house fan and it will either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Use it only if the temperature and humidity outside is far more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. If your air cooling system has been operating throughout the day, and the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity continues to be high), don’t turn the great tumblr. The vent will suck all of the humid air into the air conditioned house
* The best time periods to use it could be, naturally, morning hours and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it will not be a good idea to bring every one of the pollution to the house. Your window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are incredibly powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open as numerous windows and doors as you can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (no less than on the highest speed) is very great, that without open windows / doors, it will draw air externally through any possible openings like, for instance, through the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t eliminate the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. If it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it may blow away from the pilots.
2. When things are ready, it is possible to activate the full house fan and usually within the next couple of seconds you ought to feel a lot of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both need to be balanced to perform properly to be able to really enjoy the whole house fan operation. Air drawn by the whole house fan needs to be discharged from the attic vents to the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created inside the attic area will cause the environment that had been just pulled from the house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps in the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation may not be enough to assist the Tumblr operation; you will need considerably more to transport everything that extra volume of air for the exterior. And the formula to calculate the sq footage from the attic vents expected to discharge that air is simple. You simply need the dimensions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate all the rooms within your house you feel ought to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the section of the required attic vents (all of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In case the house you’re stepping into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up due to its purpose (there might be a tag about the unit itself), which would be to replace your property air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re normally the one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time for your house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d have to divide your house total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That can provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
6. An additional crucial thing: louvers from the Get More Information are not air tight and possess no insulation applied to their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would personally highly recommend installing a whole house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to get rid of it before you utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never make use of them, however they might benefit your wallet if you apply the suggestions above. There are currently other kinds of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more potent, and give air flow for extended amounts of time.